26.8.18

Something's Bugging Me

So, I need to get something off my chest. It's a blogging gripe- stay with me kids- that has seeped into Instagram- seemingly on the daily. Even if you're an observer and not a creator (*pompous word alert) you can't fail to have noticed it too. What am I banging on about? Let's cut to the chase here- the thing that is pissing me off is that.....bloggers will not stop asking questions. Now, admittedly this may sound very minor on the general life scale of global warming, terrorism, rising knife crime and the surreal alarmingness of an abnormally dumb orange person running America; but if you are dipping your toe into IG on the regular it may well be bothering the hell out of you too. Essentially, the questions DO.NOT.STOP.COMING. 'What would you like to see?' is the most frequent one (and many variants thereof). And it enrages me. Market research (for that is what it is) is fundamentally the enemy of creativity. I used to work at a glossy fashion magazine- and yes- it was almost exactly like The Devil Wears Prada. (But much much worse). We were constantly indoctrinated with weird maxims to try and make our output more 'suitable'. And one of these has always stuck with me, namely- never ever give the public what they want- give them what they didn't know they wanted. I still totally believe in that premise. Do you think that Alessandro Michele sits around the Gucci office going 'Ok, let's ask a sample group of five thousand customers whether they want a blue printed loafer with pineapples all over it next season, or a pink one with cherries?'. No he does not. He goes with what he feels. He lets his imagination flow. Run wild. Which is why Kering's profits (Gucci's parent company) were up 120% in 2017 and Gucci's sales alone were worth six billion euros. (Hey Google, how you doin').
Now, I totally understand why a YouTuber might wanna know what their audience would be more interested in seeing- a haul or vlog let's say- (although, I think even the cat's mother knows that Zara hauls smash it out the park every time) because, well, it's bloody annoying putting blood, sweat and tears into a video that no-one watches. I get it. But chasing views (or likes on The Gram) is a reductive business. A nice hashtag has popped on IG recently- #postwhatyoulove- and I'm down with that. Not everything can be targeted, and researched and perfectly tailored to appeal to your 'audience'. Literally, stop the insanity. Throw in a curve ball, have the courage of your creative convictions and for the love of God and all that is holy- please stop asking me questions. My brain is over fried with fashion images, new-ins and well, life just generally. I've got nothing for you. Go and pump some poor other bugger for ideas. Actually, don't do that either. Just go with what you feel. It works for Alessandro. 
SHOP THE LOOK



Silk Shirt- Bogdar // Alternative- Here
Cycling Shorts- Topshop // Alternative- Here
Fendi Baguette- My Mum's // Alternative- Here
Necklace- Cinco // Alternative- Here
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Wow!! As another creator I wholeheartedly agree with this. It can be easy to try and cater what we do to our readers/followers because of fear of them not wanting to tag along anymore. But liberating ourselves to create what it is we truly love will attract people anyway. At least I try my hardest to keep that in mind <3. This was a much needed post.

    www.aurepertoire.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful !
    I really like

    ReplyDelete

© Honey Belle. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOG DESIGNS BY pipdig